Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC)
The potential of development of a country lies in the development of intellectual capital which is defined by its people’s intellectual capabilities. Education, higher education in particular, is an important tool to nurture and augment such capabilities.
The Government of Bangladesh (GoB) recognized that the country would be at risk of being left behind in a highly competitive global economy as its higher education systems were not satisfactorily primed to produce graduates empowered with right skills and capability for a challenging global economy. As such, higher education institutions (HEI) need to widen their scope and area of operation and encourage the development of students’ creativity and individuality so that they become a high-quality human resources and contribute to the country’s competitiveness.
Towards this end, University Grants Commission (UGC), as the intermediary between the Government and the universities for regulating the affairs of all the universities, brought out Strategic Plan for Higher Education 2006-2026, a publication concerning the expected trajectory of future trail of higher education. The recommendations made in the Strategic Plan propelled the Ministry of Education to launch the Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP) with the financial support of the World Bank in mid 2009.
The Quality Assurance Unit (QAU), formed within the organizational structure of University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh under HEQEP, initiated the QA mechanism in Bangladesh’s HEIs. The QAU has overseen and approved the formation of Institutional Quality Assurance Cells (IQACs) in universities and elaborated on a set of guidelines and the processes to facilitate the operation of the IQACs. It aspires to advance quality of teaching, learning and research and set in motion an effective internal QA system in all the higher education institutions in Bangladesh. Accordingly, (SUB) has created the Institutional Quality Assurance Cell to accomplish the envisioned objectives.
Establishment Of Institutional Quality Assurance Cell
Performance Contract to implement a Program entitled “ Establishment of Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) at (SUB)”was signed on 12 January, 2016.
General Objective of Institutional Quality Assurance Cells:
To achieve acceptable quality of education and ensure the quality level through provision of adequate environment & appropriate teaching
- To improve quality of operations at the University in general and teaching in particular
- To review existing policies and procedures of the SUB
- To review academic curriculum of relevant disciplines of the SUB.
- To promote quality assurance culture within the (SUB)
- To ensure coordination among all related stakeholders
- To co-ordinate all quality assurance (QA) activities at the national level, and link with
UGC and other external QA agencies.
- To prepare the university to meet the external quality assurance assessment and accreditation requirement
- To monitor and evaluate self assessment (SA) practices and processes through audit & survey in order to develop and strengthen the functional modalities.
Approved Entities (Departments) of SUB:
- Business Administration
- Food Eng.& Tech.
- Public Health
- Central Activities: for all Entities
- Block Activities: for Individual Entities
- Activities related to Teaching
- Activities related to Research
- Activities related to Academic Environment
Block Activities (Self Assessment):
- Workshop on Self Assessment Activities
- Evaluation by International Consultant
- Evaluation by National Consultant
- Survey on Self Assessment Activities
Management Team of IQAC:
A team comprising five persons under overall supervision by the Vice Chancellor, SUB will implement the activities of the IQAC, SUB.
- Director- Dr. Harun-Ar-Rashid, Professor of Public Health & Research Management, School of Health Sciences, SUB
- Additional Director- Mamoon Al Rasheed, Assistant Professor, Department of CSE, SUB
- Office Manager -1: To be appointed
- Office Accountant -1: Haroon Bhuiya
- Support Staff -1: To be appointed
Committees of IQAC:
- Quality Assurance Committee (QAC)
- Self Assessment Committee (SAC) for each Entity /Department
- Administrative & Technical Committees
- Facilitation of Accreditation process of the University and its programs.
- Improvement of institutional functioning facilitating quality improvement and quality assurance.
- Review and evaluation of all programs, academic curriculum of different disciplines with an objective to modify existing procedures to achieve expected quality.
- Review & evaluation of policies and rules of the University to enhance the quality of academic environment.
- Function as a change agent in the University.
- Enhancement of external, internal and to some extent international coordination and collaboration.
Overseas trainings were organized under the Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP) of the University Grants Commission (UGC) for the Directors and the Additional Directors of the IQACs of different public and private universities.
Dr. Harun-Ar-Rashid, the Director of Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) of (SUB), has participated in an overseas training in Malaysia under Higher Education Quality Enhancement Project (HEQEP) of the Government of Bangladesh funded by the World Bank. The team consisted of 15 delegates from the IQACs (Directors and Additional Directors) of round 3 Universities under the HEQEP project. Besides, there were four delegates from HEQEP and Quality Assurance Unit (QAU) of the University Grants Commission (UGC) of Bangladesh. The training period was from May 1- 14, 2016 held in Kuala Lumpur. In addition to the regular sessions conducted at the training venue, there were visits to four Universities (University Putra Malaysia, Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation, Higher Education Learning Philosophy University and University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus) in Malaysia.
Professor Dr. Harun-Ar-Rashid, Director, IQAC of SUB participated in a Training Program on Quality Assurance in Higher Education held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Mr. Mamoon Al Rasheed, the Additional Director of Institutional Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) of (SUB), has also participated in a training facilitated and conducted by the Asian Institute of Technology Extension (A.I.T Extension) at Bangkok from April 25, 2016 through May 6, 2016. Seventeen educators comprising Directors and Additional Directors of IQACs of fifteen different public and private universities of Bangladesh and two senior officials from the University Grants Commission, Bangladesh participated in the training. The participants of the training were taken out in between sessions for exposure visits to four different universities (KasetSart University, Asian Institute of Technology, Rangsit University and King Mongkut’s University of Technology North Bangkok) around Bangkok city.