Sajid Bin DOZA, PhD
BArch (KU), MArch (BUET), PhD (University of Évora, Portugal)
Associate Professor & Department Head
Dr. Sajid Bin Doza was born in Rajshahi and the historic monuments of northern part of Bengal have been a great inspiration for his sketching works. This not only made him wish to be an architect, but helped him to create the artistic works through painting, cartooning and clay modeling- that have won him several awards at home and abroad. He completed his Bachelor of Architecture (B.ARCH) form Architecture Discipline of University of Khulna in 1999 and later he obtained a Master of Architecture (M.ARCH), a Post Graduate Diploma on Shelter Design and Development at the LUND University Sweden, as well as recently earned a PhD in History of Art at the University of Évora, Portugal. He also received training on color & light in architecture in University luau di Venezia. IUAV, Venice, Italy. Dr. Sajid specializes in Heritage studies and- Training in conservation painting restoration and is an expert in Sequential documentation for the Historic sites as well as for the traditional spatial pattern in ancient city. Within the timeline of his studies and researches, he organized eight solo exhibitions at home and abroad showcasing his sketches and drawings on cultural heritage of Bangladesh. He also published several books on the cultural heritages of the country. He has been teaching Art & Architecture since 15 years in Architectural schools and served the department of architecture at the BRAC University Since 2009. At present, Dr. Sajid is the Head of the Department of Architecture at the State University of Bangladesh. For more than ten years he has been arranging study tours for the students to explore our ancient and medieval historical settlements and to enthuse the students. These tours are offered to the students twice a year through the course ARC 327. Besides teaching, Dr. Sajid is an active member of the Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB) and elected Assistant General Sectary of the 24th Executive Council.
- DARASBARI Mosque: A visual diary, Doel Publishers, 2020, Dhaka, print
- Silence in the crowd, sketches of national parliament building, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Book chapter: RE-IMAGINING Bengal: architecture, built environment and cultural heritage, Copal, India, 2017
- DOZA, SAJID BIN. Darasbari Mosque at Sultanate Capital of Gaur-Bengal. Berlin, Germany: Darasbari Mosque at Sultanate Capital of Gaur-Bengal Darasbari Mosque at Sultanate Capital of Gaur-Bengal LAP Lambert Academic, (2013-12-07).
- DOZA, SAJID BIN. Cultural Heritage and Longing of a Small Town: A Story of a Temple City. Berlin, Germany, 2014. Print.
- Enlightened Arena: Sketches of Historical Mosques. 2011, Alliance Française de Dhaka, ISBN: 987-984-33-4471-7
- 'The Story of Mud and Thatch from Time Immemorial', Publication of Booklet of The Exhibition, Alliance Française de Dhaka, 2009, ISBN: 978 989 33 0788 0
1. Architecture is endless, ARCASIA FORUM 20, Dhaka, 3 November, 2019, BSMMU, Print
2. Mosque as the integral part of the context and nature: Cultural Mapping of Sultanate period in delta land, Mosque Architecture: Present issues and future Ideas, Kuala lumpur, 2019, Malaysian institute of translation of Books, ITBM
3. ANCIENT CITIES OF DELTAIC BENGAL: Conservation of memory, International Conference on Urban Conservation, Center for Built Environment, Kolkata, WB, India
4. LIVING WITH THE WATER’- attended the conference with paper work, paper presentation and proceeding published. Semarang, Indonesia, 11th council meeting and session, ARCASIA FORUM 2018, Semarang, Indonesia
5. Cities are losing Heritage values “Design that cares – an interdisciplinary approach to making built environments efficient and meaningful”. 8th- 10th December, 2017, Venue: Blue Waters Hotel, Wadduwa, Colombo, Sri Lanka., http://www.mrt.ac.lk/foa/faru2017/
6. Rhythm of light on bricks in delta: Understanding light, shade and shadow in heritage indoors of ancient Bengal, 19th ARCASIA Forum Jaipur, India, 21st -25th May, 2017, Jaipur Marriot India. http://arcasiajaipur.com/speakers.html
7. Terracotta Arts of Bengal: Values of intangible cultural heritage, Journal of the ITHASH Academy. ISSN-2221-5433, Volume-3, Number -3, Dhaka, 2017
8. Buddhist Architecture in the Ancient Landscape of Delta: Principles behind choosing the contextual landscape, 6th International Conference on Landscape & Urban Horticulture,Agricultural University of Athens, Greece. 21st June-24th June 2016,Athens,Greece., http://www.ishs.org/acta-horticulturae
9. "Ancient boats of PALA Dynasty: Documentation of formal expression of the riverine vessels of 8th Century, this conference explores Ireland's rich sea-going past and culture. Topics include: piracy; naval warfare; smuggling; fishing communities; shipwrecks; Lusitania; boat-building, ports; World War One in Irish Sea, University College Cork, UCC Main Campus, Realization Date: 16 October 2015 to 17 October 2015., http://dspace.bracu.ac.bd/bitstream/handle/10361/3178/Saji-Bin-Doza.pdf?sequence=1
10. Mughal Forts in Delta: An Essay on Fort Planning on the Rivers of Bengal, Journal of Literature and Art Studies, Journal of Literature and Art Studies, March 2015, Vol. 5, No. 3, 222-230 doi: 10.17265/2159-5836/2015.03.009., http://www.davidpublisher.org/Public/uploads/Contribute/550bb8dc25ff0.pdf
11. 'Afloat beauty of the Delta: Study on crafting traditional boats of coastal region of Bangladesh. Conference on the Heritage & Memory of the Sea, organized by the UNESCO Cv.pdf Chair of University of EVORA, Portugal January 14th -16th, 2015.
12. Cultural Heritage and Longing of a Small Town: A Story of a Temple City. Berlin, Germany:, 2014. Print. ISBN-13:978-3-659-27537-1. ISBN-10: 3659275379. EAN: 9783659275371., https://www.lap-publishing.com/catalog/details//store/gb/book/978-3-659-27537-1/cultural-heritage-and-longing-of-a-small-town
13. Darasbari Mosque at Sultanate Capital of Gaur-Bengal. Berlin, Germany: LAP Lambert Academic, (2013-12-07) ISBN 10: 3659496189 I ISBN 13: 9783659496189., https://www.lap-publishing.com/catalog/details//store/gb/book/978-3-659-49618-9/darasbari-mosque-at-sultanate-capital-of-gaur-bengal
14. River fort architecture Form, expression and functional meaning of Mughal fort architecture and policies for conservation in the delta (Bangladesh), 2012, 3rd International Conference on Architectural Conservation, Dubai, 17-21 December, 2012.,World Trade Center, Dubai., http://www.bracu.ac.bd/about/people/dr-sajid-bin-doza
15. Darashbari Mosque: A unique sultanate mosque at Gaur, 2013, Journal, of Ittihash Academy, 3rd Volume, January, 2013, Dhaka 16. Analysis and identification of courtyard houses in the old Town of Rajshahi, BRAC University Journal, 2012, Dhaka, http://wwwbracu.ac bdinewsistudy-tour-arc-327-history-bengal-art-and-architecture
17. "DO MAHELA" An 'Enlightenment' about Two Storied Mud Architecture, January 2008, vol 12 no-1, Protibesh-Journal of Department of Architecture, BUET
18. Shah Muhammad Mosque: A Graceful Remains in Transitional Phase of Early Mughal Architecture, IBS. RU, Vol. XXXI, 2008, ISSN 0256-503X
19. AKH1LA Jami Mosque-Understanding 'vernacular-religious' architecture and mosques of the Muslim Bengal: a case study analysis. IBS, RU, Vol. XXXII, 2009, ISSN 0256-503X
20. Public and Semi-public Space in Shelter Design: A study for upholding an Informal Shelter Situation, Housing Development Management,tIDM, Lund University, Sweden, 2010
21. Traditional Spatial Pattern of Rajshahi Old Town: A case study on Tanks (PUKUR) and water landing Terrace (Ghat). Rajshahi City Past & Present, 2010
22. Darasbari Madrasah: An Intelligent Structure of Bengali Sultanate Architecture, Protibesh, Journal of BUET, January 2010, Volume 14, Issue-1
23. Darasbari Madrasah: Analysis of Bengali Sultanate Madrasah in Gaur, Journal of Ittihash Academy, is Volume, March, 2011, Dhaka
24. Darashbari Mosque: A unique sultanate mosque at Gaur, 2013, Journal of Ittihash Academy, 3rd Volume. January, 2013, Dhaka.
Awards & Achievements
EMMA-ASIA 2013 PhD in History of Arts Scholarship in the University of Evora, Portugal, European Union Scholarship, 2012-2016
EMMA Staff Mobility Exchange Programme, European Union Scholarship, 2011
Grant of Swedish International Development Agency. SIDA, Swedish International Development Agency SIDA Fund, 2009-2010